Welcome to our Team Girl Power to Cure Disney Princess Half Marathon Fundraiser Page
PURPLE RIBBON MOBILITY IS SPONSORING AND RUNNING THIS RACE IN HONOR OF MY BEAUTIFUL STEPDAUGHTER, GRACE, IN ORDER TO INCREASE AWARENESS OF RETT SYNDROME AND RAISE MONEY TO FUND RESEARCH AND SUPPORT FOR GIRLS WITH THIS RARE GENETIC DISORDER. ALL PROCEEDS FROM THE SALE OF THIS T-SHIRT WILL BE DONATED TO GIRL POWER TO CURE.
Rett Syndrome Quick Facts:
- Debilitating neurological (movement) disorder that predominantly affects females.
- Baby girls are born “normal” but begin to lose acquired skills between the ages of 1-3 years old.
- Caused by a single gene mutation that leads to underproduction of an important brain protein.
- The leading genetic cause of severe impairment in girls – most cannot speak, walk or use their hands.
- Despite their physical disabilities, girls with Rett Syndrome are believed to be functioning mentally at a much higher level than previously thought.
- As prevalent as Cystic Fibrosis, ALS and Huntington’s.
- Another little girl is born with Rett Syndrome every 90 minutes.
- Rett Syndrome is a potentially REVERSIBLE disorder. Research has proven once protein levels are back to normal levels, symptoms subside.
- For more information, please visit www.girlpower2cure.org/